Friday, July 23, 2010

Playground Safety

Last week my lesson plan was focused on safe choices on our playground.  I went around taking pictures of their safe play.   I did make a point that they need to wear helmets on bikes and/or tricycles on the sidewalk, driveway, or street where they ride at home.  But our playground, and the tricycles are safe without helmets.  Thank goodness, because that would be a pain, fitting them on each child...uhhhh.
Sand safety is a biggie on our playground.  Sand and eyes don't mix!  Somehow I end up eating sand by the end of the day...



Sand on the concrete isn't safe either, so one of the kids went to work cleaning up!



The firetruck is a safety concern daily.  The children with no fear, love to jump off it, and climb all over it.  We discussed appropriate times and places to jump, places to climb, and which bars to swing on.



Scooping up the muck is a great safe play choice!


As a child I never thought of a slide as unsafe, but they can be.  We discussed the right was to sit, waiting your turn, no pushing, slide one at a time, and make sure there is no one at the bottom.  I do allow the older children to practice climbing up the slide while I stand right beside them.  It works good muscles, and I make sure they understand they can climb up only under teacher supervision.

No comments: